25 May 2013
01. Daniel Craig - Ted Williams 10 Coolest Men in Britain
Ted Williams Menswear Coolest Man in Britain 01. Daniel Craig – Actor / James Bond James Bond is the most iconic British character. The casting and reinvention of the role is something we all have an opinion about, and when Daniel Craig was announced as 007 there were many who didn’t agree, myself included. However, ‘Casino Royal’ Craig’s debut as Bond is generally regarded as one of the great Bond films. It is for his modern, brutal portrayal of 007 that Daniel Craig has become one of the most famous men in the world but his career did not start with and will not end with Bond.
As a young actor Craig studied at the ‘Guildhall School of Music and Drama’, he did seasons with the ‘Royal Shakespeare Company’, starred in the brilliant ‘Our Friends in the North’ on UK television. He has starred in many great films including ‘Layer Cake’, ‘Munich’, ‘Defiance’, and ‘The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo’. Woman fancy him, men want to be him, he has great style and his job is to play James Bond. Yes, this is the coolest man in Britain today.
25 May 2013
02. David Beckham - Ted Williams Top 10 Coolest Men in Britain
Ted Williams Menswear Top 10 Men in Britain Today 02. David Beckham Love him or hate him David Beckham has been part of our live since 17th August 1996. This is not his date of birth, nor his debut for Manchester United. This was the day he scored from the half way line, one of the most iconic goals of the premier league era.
Since that day he has appeared on both the front and back pages of our newspapers on a near daily basis. What followed was a relationship with a ‘Spice Girl’ now one of the most influential people in the fashion world in her own right, a red card which almost lead to a public lynching, rows with ‘Alex Fergusson’ and flying boots!, Beckham’s goings on have become a national obsession.
Beyond football David Beckham has established himself as one of the sports world’s leading brands. His face has become one of the world’s most marketable commodities, whether you are selling sportswear, watches, aftershave, or electrical goods simply take a picture of David Beckham wearing or holding it and you will sell more. Beckham has used his brand and influence to do massive amounts for the charities he supports; his football career has taken him to Spain, American, Italy and France making him a truly international superstar.
Fashion wise there have been mistakes, the sarong was wrong, some of the hair cuts were slightly dodgy, but generally he pulls it off. With looks that have improved with age, a now legendary football career and he comes across as a nice bloke, I hate him! David Beckham is a very cool gentleman and someone the whole of Britain should be very proud of.
25 May 2013
03. Tom Hardy - Ted Williams Top 10 Coolest Men in Britain
Ted Williams Menswear Top 10 Men in Britain Today 03. Tom Hardy Another young British actor I hear you say, yes, but for good reason. Tom Hardy is a dude. First seen on British television as the winner of ‘The Big Breakfasts’ find me a supermodel, he then appeared in a number of television roles and films establishing himself as “someone to watch”.
His big breakthrough came when he played the role of Charles Bronson in the film ‘Bronson’. Hardy’s performance was an incredible piece of character acting, in what was an engaging portrayal of Britain’s most violent prisoner. Major Hollywood roles followed, ‘Inception’ in 2010 and ‘The Dark Knight Rises’ in 2012 were two of the highest grossing films of recent years. Tom Hardy shows a Robert De Niro esque level of commitment to his roles. Massive weight gain, muscle growth and absolute focus are all traits that he shows on our screens again and again.
Tom Hardy will be one of the most influential actors of his generation; he maintains links to the theatre, stars in Hollywood blockbusters, is on the bedroom wall of many teenage girls, and is admired by men. Very successful, very talented, and a proper cool geezer.
25 May 2013
04. Michael Fassbender - Ted Williams Top 10 Coolest Men in Britain
Ted Williams Menswear Top 10 Men in Britain Today 04. Michael Fassbender Michael Fassbender is of mixed German and Northern Irish parentage; he is fluent in both German and English and is known for his trademark calm voice.
Fassbender comes across as the kind of person you want to go to a party with, when he smiles his whole face smiles, you smile, it’s infectious, when he laughs the people around him laugh. Exceptionally talented, with an ever growing list of both character and lead roles, Fassbender has shown from early in his career that he both loves and understands the movie industry. He dropped out of the Actors Workshop because the focus of the training was on theatre and his passion was film. Bold career and role choices such as in the film ‘Shame’ (one for the ladies!) have helped Fassbender to stand out as one of the great movie actors of his generation.
Michael Fassbender is a regular in men’s fashion magazines and is a red carpet favourite. He is always perfectly turned and whether in casuals or tailoring carries him-self with a confidence and a certain ju ne se qua that stinks of cool.
21 May 2013
06. Damian Lewis Actor06. Damian Lewis ActorDamian Lewis is one of those British actors who you assume is American. I first saw Lewis playing Richard Winters in the incredible Band of Brothers, then he played Charlie Crews in Life, and recently he has taken over our Sunday evenings as the Is he good? Is he bad? Nicholas Brody in Homelands. All of these were great performances, and diverse in nature. The one thing they all have in common is that he always plays an American. This is fine until you see him on Jonathan Ross and you realise hes an Eton College educated Brit!Always immaculately dressed, massively talented and another British actor dominating US television.
21 May 2013
05. David Bowie Musician
05. David Bowie – Musician There are very few men who can wear women’s cloths and makeup, sing nonsense lyrics in an often questionable falsetto voice and still be loved and admired by men and women alike, David Bowie is one. Since the release of ‘Space Oddity’ in 1969 Bowie has been an ever present in both the music and fashion world.
David Bowie is a performer who realises that the manner of the performance is often as important as the content. Bowie changed the way rock music existed, the use of his androgynous alter ego Ziggy Stardust created one of the greatest cult followings in modern popular culture. The relatively short-lived Ziggy persona proved merely one facet of a career marked by continual reinvention, musical innovation and striking visual presentation.
This year Bowie has released new material, his video for the song ‘the next day’ was temporally banned by youtube for controversial content. Aged 66 Bowie is still edgier than most rap stars, pushing the boundaries of music, live performance and style. A true fashion and music icon.
17 May 2013
08. Charlie Watts Musician / Stone08. Charlie Watts Musician / StoneCharlie Watts is a Rolling Stone, which should be enough to place you high up any list of cool men. However, Charlie Watts is the only member of the band to make the list. There is a famous anecdote about Charlie Watts and the Rolling Stones from the mid-1980s, an intoxicated Mick Jagger phoned Charlie Watts' hotel room in the middle of the night asking "Where's my drummer?". Watts got up, shaved, dressed in a suit, put on a tie and freshly shined shoes, descended the stairs, and punched Jagger in the face, saying: "Don't ever call me your drummer again. You're my fucking singer!"For the above story alone I believe Charlie Watts deserves a place on any list of cool British men, yet he is also an immaculate dresser, perfect gentleman, and has given the other Stones a lesson, how to grow old gracefully.
17 May 2013
07. Idris Elba07. Idris Elba - ActorIdris Elba has appeared in Hollywood blockbusters, produced and performed in both the UK and US rap scene working with the like of Jay Z, has starred in and produced the brilliant UK series Luther. For any of these achievements Idris Elba fulfils the required career success and talent to be placed on the Ted Williams list of cool British males. However, it is for his role as Stringer Bell in the US series The Wire that we all really love Idris Elba. Stringer Bell was one of the great characters in modern television, the educated gangster trying to escape the street; unfortunately the street and Omar had different ideas. You still dont get it do you! This aint about your money bro! Idris Elba is handsome, multi talented and dresses with sophistication. A leading figure in a new wave of British exports taking over Hollywood.
16 May 2013
10. James Corden - Ted Williams 10 Coolest Men in BritainTed Williams 10 Coolest Men in Britain today.The Ted Williams list of the 10 coolest men in Britain today is not a list of the 10 best looking men in Britain, you will not find people from TOWIE (the only way is Essex) or Hollyoaks. We have looked to compile a list based upon the following criteria; Style, talent, and success. We believe it is just a possible for a man of sixty five to be cool as it is a man of twenty one assuming the gentleman of sixty five is aware he is no longer twenty one! We know you may disagree with our list, and may be amazed weve missed someone off you love. However, as with all these things they are subjective and our list was devised democratically between the staff of Ted Williams. If you wish to share your thoughts, please contact us, and we will agree or not! 10. James Corden Actor/ComedianJames Corden shot to fame in 2007 whilst starring in the hugely successful British sitcom Gavin and Stacey. What set James apart was that he was also the writer for the series and had developed the original concept along with his writing partner Ruth Jones. Since then Corden has rarely been far from our screens, working as an actor, presenter and general funny guy. In 2011 James Corden started a run in the west end in One Man, Two Guvnors after a hugely successful period in London the production moved to Broadway, Cordens talent was quickly recognised in New York winning a Tony Award for Best Performance by a Leading Actor in a Play. James Corden is a great example of how men of all sizes can dress fashionably. Whether Corden is wearing a well tailored suit, or his trade mark fully buttoned polo shirt and cardigan he always looks great and appropriately dressed for his build. It is the combination of talent and style which has got James Corden in the Ted Williams Menswear top 10 coolest men in Britain 2013.
16 May 2013
9. Sir Paul Smith - Ted Williams 10 Coolest Men in Britain09. Sir Paul Smith British Fashion DesignerSir Paul opened his first shop on Byard Lane in Nottingham in 1970. Since then he has developed his self named brand into one of the most successful and influential names in designer menswear fashion. Paul Smiths brand perfectly encapsulates the quirky British character, and when you meet Sir Paul you realise this is his influence. A self proclaimed hoarder and collector of curiosities Sir Paul has always remained at the forefront of fashion and popular culture. For us Sir Paul had to be in the list, his credentials as a style icon are unquestionable, he has built a hugely successful international business and to top it off hes a thoroughly nice chap.
16 May 2013
Ted Williams - A Bespoke GarmentTed Williams - A Bespoke Garment - for you.At Ted Williams Menswear we are very excited to introduce our new line of tailoring, Ted Williams - A Bespoke Garment.Ted Williams Menswear has its heritage in bespoke and made-to-measure tailoring. However, in recent years we have developed a successful suiting business selling off the peg tailoring. We have worked with many of the worlds biggest brands, Hugo Boss, Canali, Paul Smith, Armani Collezioni and many more have all been sold by Ted Williams Menswear. With our new line Ted Williams - A Bespoke Garment we are able to offer you a huge range of exciting and varied cloths. Pin stripes, checks, herringbones, or plain fabrics are all available in a spectrum of colours. Choose your lining from a vast array of coloured and printed silks. Each detail of your garment can be customised; from the buttons to the shape of the pockets you are free to develop a suit that is unique to you. This latest evolution of the Ted Williams Menswear brand will allow us to look forward to the next 60 years of selling beautifully crafted garments and to offer a more comprehensive service to our customers, old and new.
04 October 2012
Autumn is hereWell the autumn is well and truly with us, dark cold mornings and the constant threat of rain. However, its not all doom and gloom. Here at Ted Williams weve got a great range of Coats and Knitwear to keep you warm and toasty even on the chilliest of mornings. This season Armani Jeans have provided some fantastic body warmers, wear them over a hoody or jumper for a great casual look. Hugo Boss have also stepped up a couple of cracking jackets. One of my favourites is a fleece lined black jacket from BOSS Orange, great with a pair of jeans for a casual look.Have a look through the site to see all the ranges. We hope you enjoy shopping with Ted Williams this season.Regards,Ted.
15 May 2012
Euro 2012Well guys and girls it's that time when we all start to believe that mighty England will finally perform in a major championships and win. Showing those Germans and the pesky Spanish who the rightful champions of Europe are. To help you show your support for the men in white (who will in the end let us all down) we have a England branded Polo Shirt from BOSS Green label (Hugo Boss, the famous German brand). That apart it's a very patriotic garment.Come on England!!!
24 March 2012
Paul Smith BagsPaul Smith BagsAt Ted Williams Menswear we all love this seasons Paul Smith bag collection. For Autumn 2012 we have two Print options in three styles. Choose from the Holdall size, Flight bag or Wash bag. Whether you use them independently or as a set, your Paul Smith printed bags are both practical and are a great excuse to show your quirky side.There are two prints available for Autumn 2012. Mini on Location in LA is an image of a candy striped mini situated outside the famous Pink box on Melrose Avenue. The contrasting colours make for a striking design. Mini Interior is a photograph from the interior of a classic Mini shot on an American highway, reminiscent of On the road. Think Jack Kerouac, think Beat Generation. For full details please visit Paul Smith Bags at Ted Williams Menswear
08 December 2011
GQ article about Ted's favourites Vilebrequin Part 1Just when you thought it was safe to ignore your Vilebrequins...A few years ago, I was lucky enough to attend the "soft" opening of the One & Only, Le Touessrok hotel in Mauritius. It was a star-studded, four-day affair with Bryan Ferry, Alan Cumming, Joseph Fiennes, Nick Moran and photographer Rankin all in attendance. Needless to say, I was the poorest person there.Each morning after a languid breakfast, guests were roused from their daybeds with the generous offer of daily activities: scuba diving, helicopter rides, spa treatments and horse riding. Pretty much all of these options were greeted with a kind of jaded, been-there, done-that apathy. The only excursion that proved an instant sell-out was a trip to the Vilebrequin factory outlet store. Over a dozen male hands darted skywards for that one.The next day, high-rolling happy shoppers could be seen around the resort modelling their new purchases. Pink prawns and purple sea anemones. Coconuts and palm leafs, exotic flora and fauna, shoals of vibrantly hued fish.Teamed with the classic Euro-mufti of pastel toned linen shirt, Persol sunglasses, a thunking great Panerai or Audemars Piguet watch and Tod's driving shoes, the well-cut, brightly patterned Vilebrequin trunk has now become the default-setting swim short choice for the high-rolling global homme Mediterranea. This is not just a swimwear brand, but it a waterborne status symbol, a way of establishing yourself as a bonafide Euro player.Celebrity fans Ben Affleck, Brad Pitt and George Clooney might think Vilebrequin is a new thing, but it's actually been part of the Med's sun-bleached beach furniture for ages. Way back in the early Seventies a St Trop. fixture and self-confessed motor racing obsessive called Fred Pryskel decided he was bored of looking like a nerd in his tight, over-revealing briefs. So, while sitting outside a café, he cut out a boxer-short shape from a red and white gingham tablecloth and named his new swimwear design "Vilebrequin" - French for "crankshaft" - in honour of his love of fast cars. The shorts, modified with quick-drying spinnaker fabric, were an instant cult hit with Brigitte Bardot and her glamorous set of Cote d'Azur acolytes.
08 December 2011
GQ article about Ted's favourites Vilebrequin Part 2These days, the cult is worldwide with 50 independently owned stores (ie no franchises), including a couple in London and a fabulously silly five boutiques in tiny St. Tropez."Much of our business comes from repeat customers who buy in multiples," says Vilebrequin president Pierre-Alain Blum. "A customer in our Cannes store once bought 64 pairs in one go."There's a bit of a socio-political theory at play here, too. France, being particularly anal about hygiene and personal decorum, bans the wearing of long, dirt and germ-attracting baggy shorts at public swimming pools, insisting that men wear those tight and deeply unfashionable briefs, a la Mark Spitz, instead. Serendipitously, this prissy, uptight ruling turns the public wearing of Vilebrequin shorts - proudly long, ostentatiously loud - into a bit of a upscale, rock'n'roll statement. By sporting Vilebrequins instead of déclassé briefs, you are setting yourself apart from the lower class of "les ouvriers" (the workers) and casting yourself as one of France's "bon chic, bon genre", the privileged ones who don't ever go near a public swimming pool and don't have to comply to such pedantic regulations.With such sartorial snobbery to the fore, you might even be bold enough to count yourself among Vilebrequin's elite club of "Sun Collectors". More a state of mind than a roped-off society, the Sun Collectors are the keenest of Vilebrequin aficionados who home in on the limited edition VIP collection with its sterling silver fittings and unusual patterns (orange giraffes, beige elephants and palm trees on black backgrounds, have been their recent quarry) each one with a strict output of only 250 worldwide.If you want to join, Vilebrequin has a checklist. "You love beaches with fine sand, drinking a glass of rosé wine under the shade of an olive grove," they suggest. "The polished deck of a sailboat, sitting outside in a café overlooking a quaint port?" suggests the company in a burst of Proustian marketing-speak. "You love luxury, but not ostentation, the off-season more than high season, and usually take off on your own less-beaten path? Then, you are a Sun Collector and you possess the Vilebrequin spirit."
12 May 2011
"I'll be (Amster) Damned"Now I dont know if it says something about me as an individual or the British nation as a whole, but when I was in Amsterdam recently I was taken aback at the attire worn by members of the bicycle riding community.I was obviously aware of the Dutch nations penchant for the bicycle, and after walking the many canal side roads and paths I can see the obvious practical advantages.I was totally shocked though by some of the riding outfits. Im not talking unflatteringly tight lycra or short shorts but really smart workwear. I mean women in high heels and short skirts and gents immaculately decked out in well tailored suits and brogues. Some accompanied by dogs in boxes.Seeing such unusual sights, a few thoughts came into my head-Am I narrow minded? Are we as a nation unadventurous? Am I missing a marketing trick to boost my suit sales?So if youre a cyclist whos always dreamed of embracing the formal look when riding, then fulfil your dreams. You arent alone. We are always happy to assist anyone who wants a new suit for cycling or not, but if you do, send us a picture.
14 April 2011
Heaven ScentTed Williams Menswear is pleased to announce the arrival of two new additions to its fragrance offer. Stockists of Hugo Boss fragrances we can now boast the additions of Boss Orange Man and Boss Bottled Night.Together with Boss in Motion, Boss Pure, Boss Bottled, Boss Selection and Boss Soul they form a formidable collection of Eau de toilette fragrances.Obviously Ted likes each one in its own individual way but everyone has favourites. Ted's is Boss Orange Man because, after all, if it's good enough for Orlando Bloom it's good enough for us!
25 March 2011
"The Inbetweeners"Okay so it's not winter and its not summer. It's not cold enough for big winter coats but it's not warm enough to go out in just a tee. It's the time of year that middle layer garments come into their own. I.e. sweatshirts, zip through, fine knits and hooded tops.So for those in-between days look no further than one of the great options available at Ted Williams Menswear. Options are available from brands including Hugo Boss Black, Hugo Boss Orange, Hugo Boss Green, Paul Smith Jeans and Armani Jeans.Ted's favourites include Zidane from Hugo Boss Orange, a zip through sweatshirt with chest patch pockets and subtle branding, and the candy striped zebra logo range of sweats by Paul Smith Jeans.
10 March 2011
Not just for DadsChinos were once made exclusively; it seemed, for men of a certain age. By this I mean men over the age of fifty. Who doesnt know a family member who owns a pair in a strange colour? If youre thinking you dont know anyone then you are that family member!They were once comfortable, baggy casual trousers that would not have been out of place at a golf club. Whilst this look and way of wearing chinos is still strong, of late they have taken on a new dimension becoming the on trend choice of casual trouser for a new generation.The new breed of chino features a slimmer leg and looks great with on trend choices of the season the chambray shirt and driving shoe. These elements combine well for a clean and fashionable look.
04 March 2011
"Check Them Out"Spring Summer stock is arriving thick and fast, and one trend that seems to be going from strength to strength is that of the checked shirt.Of varying smartness, boldness of colour and size of check, there are seemingly limitless numbers of options.The Paul Smith Jeans range of checked shirts encompasses a variety of check sizes, colours, and has both short and long sleeve options useful for the changeable British weather! The only constant appears to be the small fashionable collar, be it button down or not.Within Hugo Boss Black, Hugo Boss Orange and Hugo Boss Green ranges the checked shirt is prevalent. Again a mixture of long and short sleeves with many a great option for the summer season.So fashion would advise you to invest in a checked shirt or two. If checks arent your thing though, dont fret, there are loads of other options. Fashion rebels should check out ONE Like No Others summer range. With a focus on interesting floral print designs and luxury fabrics they definitely offer something different.
16 October 2010
A Shawl ThingToday I read that the Frankfurt German Market would be with us in Birmingham in just over a months time. This brought with it three realisations:1. Winter is coming2. Soon we will be using pitch black freezing cold port-a-loos after drinking ice cold Weiss beer (just because its festive)3. Many of us will spend the winter months performing the juggling act of attempting to look cool in trendy Knits without looking like a Norwegian Fisherman or a middle aged man from an eighties Christmas movie. But is this a bad thing?Diverse and interesting knitwear shouldnt be seen as a bad thing though. We should be bold this winter and ignore our mates. They all secretly wish they were born in Oslo and Christened Bjorn anyway. So next time youre asking if you should or shouldnt buy the latest Nordic knit shawl collar cardigan you should!
15 October 2010
12 February 2010